how to open your tissue paper poms
1. Fold your pom in half to make sure the wire is exactly in the middle. If not, adjust the wire to center it. Use the long ends of the wire to make a little loop. This is the loop that you'll tie thread or ribbon to later on to hang your pom. If you wish to add ribbon to your minis to use as napkin holders or bows, now is the time to do it. Evenly tie your ribbon around the center of the pom, making sure the long ends of the ribbon are on the loop side. Then remove, tuck or snip the wire so it’s out of the way.
2. Place the unopened pom on a flat surface. Placing your fingers through the folds, carefully fan open the pom.
3. Gently lift up a single layer of paper. To avoid tears, try grasping the paper from just below the petals instead of by their tips. Tunnel your fingers under the first layer to get the paper as close to the center as possible.
4. Repeat lifting the layers until you’ve separated about half of the sheets on one side. Then turn the pom over and start pulling up the papers on the other side. Make sure to keep the first few layers on this side as close to the center as possible.
Repeat lifting until all the layers are separated.
5. I know, it doesn't look like the picture...yet. Now, it’s time to style. Hold the loop or ribbon side with one hand and use the fingers of your other hand to gently pinch, smooth and move around the sections of the petals until you have an even, full ball. Make sure to smooth out the tips gently or you may tear the paper.
6. If you do tear a piece, don’t rip it out and don't worry! First look over the pom to see if it is noticeable. If not, leave it be and fluff around it. If you can't see it, no one else will. If it is noticeable, simply use scissors to cut out the tear and fluff around it to hide your correction. It will be our little secret.
7. To hang your poms, tie clear thread to the wire loop in the center of the pom. Double knot it to create a strong hold. You can either tie the thread to an item of your choice or wrap and knot the thread around a push pin to secure to the ceiling.
8. Once you place your pom, fluff the top back up and style the petals one last time.